I know May is considered the beginning of the summer movie season, but I still don’t feel like it picks up until June. And what a June this will be. May brought The Avengers… and that’s it but there are a bunch of movies this month that look pretty damn good. (Still mad Moonrise Kingdom faked me out and was released nowhere near Baltimore but I can’t wait until it finally gets to Baltimore).
- Snow White & the Huntsman – I actually have looked forward to this since the first teaser was released. The direction this movie went in, albeit obvious, is much more appealing than Mirror, Mirror which may have upped my interest. It also helps that #SWATH is, like, the coolest hashtag campaign eva! Check out our review here. Lindsay and Rob were sort of lukewarm towards it, but I kinda think I’ll like it even more now since my expectations have been lowered a little.
- Prometheus – What’s there to say that hasn’t been before? Forget TDKR and The Avengers—this is the summer movie I have been anticipating this year. It just looks incredible. That David 8 viral video was brilliant enough if I hadn’t been convinced before. I am so ready for this movie to blow me away.
- Madagascar 3 -Seeing as I’ve never watched the first two of these and that I don’t have kids I think I’ll pass despite the fact that there’s zebras with rainbow afros (someone explain that to me please).
- Rock of Ages - You know, I do like musicals so I kinda want to see this. The only thing is that the musical itself looks like shit and I don’t really want to listen to these songs. It’s sort of like a dark, grown up Glee. But I would give this a not-full-price shot.
- That’s My Boy – Oh god, this looks really dumb. What should we expect, really? Honestly though, if Sandler wasn’t using that voice I probably would think it looked half as bad.
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter – The idea of this seems fairly cool on paper, but the trailer really doesn’t do much for me. I don’t know if actually seeing it made me think more about the fact that Lincoln is a really important person who probably wouldn’t get a kick out of this, but really it just looks far too serious. If you’re going to make a movie like this it has to have some camp to it.
- Seeking A Friend for the End of the World - This looks really cute. From the trailer it seems like they take advantage of how much room this concept gives you to work with. I’m down for pretty much any light hearted comedy starring Steve Carrell so count me in.
- Brave – I am not a Pixar fangirl by any means so that alone is not selling me on this. I like the idea and of course it looks beautiful but I still find myself rather apathetic to the trailer.
- Magic Mike – I am seriously looking forward to this! Channing Tatum is just one of my favorite dudes since he proved my suspicions of talent correct in 21 Jump Street. This is also Soderbergh we’re talking about who put out two of my favorite movies within the past year (Haywire and Contagion). This seems like a very different project but his directing style is always great no matter the genre. The trailer actually isn’t really that good, but I think they are playing up certain aspects to make the movie seem more like Tatum’s past projects to bring in audiences. But I don’t care because this still looks promising to me.
- Ted – Despite how dumb this idea is, the trailers make it look like it works. I don’t even really care about Seth MacFarlane as an animated teddy bear—Mark Whalberg in comedies is awesome as proved in The Other Guys. The red band trailer cracked me up and I think this is going to be the first good summer comedy.
- People Like Us – So I didn’t even know this was coming out until I made this list so I’ll tell you what it’s about. Chris Pine plays a dude who finds out Elizabeth Banks is his sister so he secretly gets to know her without revealing that tidbit. I have no fucking clue why except maybe he doesn’t want to share his inheritance? It actually doesn’t look terrible, but it also doesn’t have much going for it. Except for her small, but good role as Effie in The Hunger Games Banks has not had a good year in movies.
- Madea’s Witness Protection – …
What are you looking forward to watching this month?